In this episode, Jenn, Andrew, and Courtney discuss why your educational philosophy should guide your curricula choices, run through a quick checklist for identifying a solid curriculum, review some caveats (and share some blunders of our own), and talk about annual scheduling, working with family demands and homeschooling, and how to schedule your time during the day. Then we talk about daily checklists, loop scheduling, the spiral notebook method, doing the next thing, and the file folder method. Finally, Jenn rates paper planners.
I’m about to teach Eighth Grade for the 5th time! This time around I’m using old favorites and brand new resources.
- Saxon Math 87
- Grammar for the Well Trained Mind Red Set (year 2)
- Writing With Skill Level 1
- Wordly Wise 3000 Book 8
- Spelling You See Level F
- Memoria Press Geography 1 (The Middle East, Africa, Europe)
- Memoria Press Geography 2 (Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Oceania, & the Americas)
- Story of the World 1,2,3,4
- Sonlight Instructors Guides G and H
- Memoria Press Introduction to Classical Studies (Bible, Greek Myths, Famous Men of Rome)
- Getting Started With Spanish
- The Bronze Bow
- Adam of the Road
- The Door in the Wall
- Poetry & Short Stories- American Literature
- MEL Chemistry Kits (affiliate link, if you use it we both save $)
- Science Conservation, Robotics & Technology
- Timeline (homemade with figures from Sonlight Core G and H)
- World History 1 Lap Book ( Sonlight Core G)
- Read Alouds from Sonlight Level G and H
You can see just about everything on one page: here. You’ll support this blog with a few cents that I’ll earn on commission from Amazon.
One thing that I am doing this year is a completely planned 14 week Summer School. We start on Monday and we’ll be finishing up Saxon 76, and our Science program. We’ll also be studying the States and Capitals, The Hobbit, Grammar, and I picked up the program Myself and Others from Memoria Press in order to study a bit of Manners, Safety, and Nutrition.
I’ll update a bit on Instagram using the Story function if you’d like to follow along.